Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Repurposing for a purpose

So, we had little E's preschool orientation.  I offered up my (limited) sewing skills if the teacher needed anything.  She got this look in her eye, said, "Actually....", and led me over to the doll area where there were four ill-dressed babies.  "We need doll clothes," she reported.


Flannel diaper

So, with the million or so other projects on my to-do list this week and last, I set to work on a new project instead.  I have a serious mental block when it comes to sewing clothes for myself, but I was excited to try this new challenge.  I mean, are 3 and 4 year olds going to mind an uneven hem? 

 This was a great way to break into my stash of thrifted shirts (do you notice lots of stripes?) and a few other stray fabrics.  I made shirts, dresses, sleep sacks, diapers, pants, and skirts.



Pants (I goofed on the pink and blue pair but love the accidental ruffle I created)

While I cannot say these are my best work (I was going for quantity for these bare babes), it was fun and I giggled the whole time I was coming up with something else (or trying them on my "model, a similar-statured CabbagePatch doll).

Perhaps this project will even help me conquer my fear of sewing for myself (but first I have sweaters felting to make some winter gear for the babies - I hear the playground gets cold at the school...).


Tank tops (doesn't that shirring make you giggle?)



1 comment:

Ruby said...

Oh my goodness, what lucky dolls! Hope the kids are enjoying them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...