Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Business card holder from The Crafty Cupboard: with a twist



I LOVE this business card holder pattern from The Crafty Cupboard.  I made my first one to match a new spring bag and loved having a special place to put my crafty card.  When a friend requested one for her growing photography business, I had an epiphany.



To hem the top of the pockets, Melanie has you fold 1/4" and fold 1/4" again and press.  I don't know about you, but my fingers and iron don't get along - especially when folding tiny hems!  BUT...I did just treat myself to a few new hemmer feet, which are perfect for this job!

To use a hemmer foot to make the pocket hem, I cut one piece for the pocket 2 1/2" x 10" (instead of two 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" pieces).  My math is not off - I gave myself an extra inch to get the rolled hem going.



I found this tutorial that explains how to get the rolled hem started.   Sew about an inch and leave a long thread tail.


I found finger pressing 1/4" helped make it feed through the foot more evenly.
 


Start feeding the raw edge into the foot, using the long tail to help manipulate from the back.


Guide the fabric over the coil in the foot.


Gently use the long thread tail to pull the fabric as you start to sew.  See how the fabric on the right is going into the foot and folding over on itself?  And, more importantly, see how it is coming out on the left side all pressed and sewn!?


Here it is done (in seconds!). 


Now, take your 2 1/2" x 10" piece and cut into the required two 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" pieces.  Discard the extra inch (if the beginning of your hem was a bit wonky, throw that part away!).


Continue following the pattern as written and you'll have a swanky new business card holder in no time! 
 



 
 

5 comments:

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Very cute!! I really love your fabric choices!
I use the rolled hem foot as well when sewing my batches. I know some people just have a 4" x 4 1/2" piece they fold in half for the pockets too, but I use mostly scraps and my quilt binding scraps are perfect for pockets!

Jibby Calosu said...

I agree also that choices of fabric were very nice, it’s cute and many girls would love it. Moreover, it would be best if you design another business card holder which can be used by everyone and that it would also be versatile. Anyway, it’s great I’ll try to make my own and find the same choice of fabrics.

Unknown said...

Welcome to White Light Business Card . White Light Business Card for almost any kind of company, or even personal use. All text layers can be changed with one click. All objects can be resized without any quality loss (shapes).



Features:
Fully Layered PSD files. Fully Customizable and Editable with a click. CMYK Setting. 300 DPI High Resolution. 3.5” x 2”(3.75” x 2.25” with bleed setting). Print Ready Format.

Files Includes:
• 2 Photoshop PSD Files • 1 Readme File

Free Fonts Used:
Arial: Defualt kenzo: http://www.dafont.com/kenzo.font

Lucy Carter said...

This is an interesting post on business card holder.
Wholesale Business Card holder

Unknown said...

I really appreciate interesting articles like yours. I hope you. This is very good content. Your points are represented with original writing and your content is well-written. Information like this is good to have for readers. Thank you. visiting card

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...